Slovene-Italian Interlingual Communication I

Credit points: 6
Contact hours: 90
Type: V

Course Description

Objectives and competences

  1. - comprehension and semantic analysis of Slovene and Italian texts;
  2. - basic cultural and linguistic abilities in Italian and Slovene;
  3. - ability to use basic translation aids, literature, and other sources used in translation;
  4. - learning about the methodological bases for solving translation problems that occur when translating Italian texts into Slovene and vice versa;
  5. - development of ability in logical and linguistically correct summary of texts in Slovene and Italian.

Content (syllabus outline)

The course is composed by two subcourses:

Interlingual mediation (Italian) and

Italian Text Formation.

  1. The tutorials aim at showing the students the practical side of the basic characteristics and functions of various text types. Emphasis is put on text formation of selected text types in Italian and on learning the basic strategies used in preparing summaries in Slovene and in Italian. The students familiarize themselves with the typical translation sources, which they have to use especially when preparing a summary in a language different than that of the source text. In doing so, they learn about the basic strategies for solving translation problems.

Readings

  • Fornasiero, Serena in Tamiozzo Goldmann, Silvana. 1999. Scrivere l'italiano. Galateo della comunicazione scritta. Bologna: Il Mulino.
  • Bruni, Francesco, Alfieri, Gabriella, Fornasiero, Serena, in Tamiozzo Goldmann, Serena. 1997. Manuale di scrittura e comunicazione. Per la scrittura personale, per la scuola, per l'università. Bologna: Zanichelli.
  • Bruni, Francesco in Raso, Tommaso. 2002. Manuale dell'italiano professionale. Teoria e didattica. Bologna: Zanichelli.

Students are expected to have access to mono- and bi-lingual dictionaries in electronic or paper form. Obligatory:

  • Bajec, A. et al., ur. 1970-1985. Slovar slovenskega knjižnega jezika I-IV. Ljubljana: DZS.
  • Enojezični italijanski slovar; študent lahko izbira med slovarji večjih italijanskih založb: Zanichelli, Garzanti itd.
  • Šlenc, S. 1997. Veliki italijansko-slovenski slovar. Ljubljana: DZS.
  • Šlenc, S. 2006. Veliki slovensko-italijanski slovar. Ljubljana: DZS.
  1. Also recommended: various specialized dictionaries and other sources, dictionaries of synonyms, picture dictionaries, encyclopaedias, terminology dictionaries and glossaries, bi-lingual dictionaries with other language combinations. 

Prerequisites

  1. Enrollment in the first year of Interlingual Communication.

Assessment

The final passing grade is the average of passing grades from both cycles.

  • Interlingual communication I: students are required to do home assignments or tests at school (40 % of the final grade); the remaining 60 % of the grade is obtained in an examination; together this represents 50 % of the final grade.
  • Italian text formation I: written examination which constitutes 50 % of the final grade.

Forms of marking: 6-10 or A-E (positive grade), 1-5 or F (negative grade). The assessment is in line with the Statute of the University of Ljubljana and the examination regulations of the Faculty of Arts.