Translation of Legal Texts I

Credit points: 3
Contact hours: 60
Type: Seminar Classes

Instructor

dr. Damjan Korošec

Course Description

Objectives and competences

  1. 1. To develop the ability to translate and understand German and Slovene legal texts;
  2. 2. To develop cultural and language competences for German and Slovene and for the German and Slovene cultures and legal systems;
  3. 3. To develop technical and professional competences for translation of legal texts;
  4. 4. To develop students’ ability to analyse and comment on different texts which they can use in training or as practising translators:
  5. 5. To develop competences for the use of electronic and technical translation tools;
  6. 6. To develop students' competence for text formation and editing, complying with the norms and conventions of the German and Slovene language;
  7. 7. To develop the ability to work independently or in a team and to behave in accordance with professional ethics at the national and international levels;
  8. 8. To develop different translation strategies for translating legal texts from German into Slovene.       

Content (Syllabus outline)

  1. The unit comprises of 60 hours and is divided into two units:

  1. 1) The basics of the jurisprudence (basic legal terms) and the basics of the criminal law;
  2. 2) Translation seminar.

  1. The first part of the seminar is specialised and covers the basic notions of law. The stress is on Slovene legal system, but compared to other legal systems (especially German), raising awareness about (terminological) traps and false friends, most dangerous in translation of legal texts.

  1. Translation seminar: Acquaintance with different types of legal texts (e. g. constitution, contract, indictment, legislation, legal textbooks etc.). Application of theoretical knowledge of law to translation practice. 

Readings

  • Apovnik, Paul/Karničar, Ludwig (1989): Wörterbuch der Rechts- und Wirtschaftssprache. Wien: Manz. (2 zvezka: ne-slo, slo-ne)
  • Apovnik/Primožič/Feri (1999): Slovenski pravni leksikon z nemškimi in italijanskimi ustreznicami geselskih besed. Ljubljana: OST – svetovalne storitve.
  • Beran et al. (1999): Pravni terminološki slovar: do 1991, gradivo. Ljubljana: Založba ZRC (ZRC SAZU). – Zbirka slovarji.
  • Bohinc, Rado/Bratina, Borut/Pivka, Hilda Marija (1998): Temelji obveznostnega prava. Gospodarsko pravo I. Ljubljana: Fakulteta za družbene vede.
  • Creifelds, Carl (1996): Rechtswörterbuch. 13. Aufl. München: C. H. Beck.
  • Köbler, Gerhard (1997): Juristisches Wörterbuch. 8. Aufl. München: Verlag Vahlen.
  • Koziol, Helmut/Welser, Rudolf (1995): Grundriβ des bürgerlichen Rechts. Band 1: Allgemeiner Teil und Schuldrecht. 10. Aufl. Wien: Manzsche Verlags- und Universitätsbuchhandlung.
  • Pavčnik, Marijan (1997): Teorija prava. Prispevek k razumevanju prava. Ljubljana: Cankarjeva založba.
  • Recommended are also various Web sources, such as Evrokorpus, Evroterm, Iate, Eurolex, Eurovoc).      

Prerequisites

  1. Enrollment in the first year of the MA programme in Translation/Interpreting.

Assessment 

  1. - 40% of the final grade is obtained through midterm tests (the basics of the jurisprudence and of the criminal law),
  2. - 60% of the final grade is obtained at the translation seminar: 40% work during the semester (translations, seminars, homework), the remaining 60 % is obtained in a final examination.

 

Ucitelj

Damjan Korošec